Saturday, August 7, 2010

Rose Cameo

Tracy Gamblin created a beautiful cake using the rose cameo mold.

I knew the minute I saw the rose cameo mold what I was going to do with it. I wanted to make a necklace and show a rose spray around it.

I used 50/50 gumpaste and fondant in which I lightly tinted it with Wilton copper. I made up several cameos because of painting issues (always nice to have some spares). Here is a picture of the process of painting.


I’m painting the roses with Global Sugar Art poppy red dust mixed with clear vanilla. The leaves/stem were done in CK Forest Green dust/clear vanilla mixture.

Next I painted the outside with CK Aztec gold dust/clear vanilla mixture. The pearl part was done the same way with Wilton pearl dust/clear vanilla. I allowed the cameos to dry for a couple of days and then I assembled the “dummy cake”. I made the rose and white filler flowers spray a while ago and thought they would be perfect for the necklace. I did use a chantilly lace textured mat from Studio by Sculpey on red fondant. This gave me the look of a piece of red fabric to drape the pearl necklace over.

The pearls are size 8mm from a CK mold that I have. I tried the 12mm but the pearls were way too large and took the focus away from the cameo piece.

I really enjoyed the experience and I hope you like the finished product.

…..Tracy Gamblin

Product Used:


No comments:

Post a Comment